I am always on the look out for recipes I can make in my crock pot. I recently came across this recipe for Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce at a site called Framed- My Life One Picture at a Time and adapted it slightly .
Bolognese sauce is a meat based sauce for pasta. It’s more meaty that your regular spaghetti sauce. This recipe also makes a ton. I was able to safe half of it for another meal. It would work great to freeze also. If you want your sauce to have some more zip to it, you could also substitute some of the ground beef with Italian sausage. My family loved it just as is.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 (14 oz) cans chopped tomatoes, drained
- 3 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (6 oz) cans tomato paste
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Cook beef in large skillet until browned.
- Transfer to 5 quart slow cooker. Stir in all remaining ingredients, mix well.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Serve over your favorite pasta. Happy sigh.
This is the original photo from this post. The above photo was updated in March 2018.