I recently stumbled across a recipe for shake and bake potatoes on Tasty Kitchen. It was posted by Sara from Sara & Spice. I remembered my mom making shake and bake chicken when I was young. I loved it them. I thought it would be great to make a potato dish with a similar coating.
Now Sara’s originally recipe was made with dry Italian dressing mix, but she said ranch dressing mix works well too. I tried it out with the ranch dressing. I also only made half a recipe. I made the whole amount of coating and just used half. Then I have the coating mix ready to go for next time. Also think it would be fun to try other seasoning mixes in the coating. I think it would be yummy to use regular bread crumbs along with a package of taco seasoning for another variation. Any other dip or dressing mix would work in this recipe.
The family loved them and it was an easy side dish to put together. I also love the fact that this uses olive oil and is baked. Much healthier than a coated and deep fried French fry. Below is my slightly adapted version of Sara’s recipe.
I have a giveaway starting today for you, so pop on over to the giveaway page after looking at the recipe to enter.
Shake and Bake Potatoes
- 10-12 medium red potatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¾ cup Italian style bread crumbs
- 1 package dry ranch dressing mix or dry Italian dressing mix (I used ranch)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Wash and dry potatoes. Cut potatoes int 1 inch cubes.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl or gallon-size bag and drizzle with olive oil. Toss or stir well until potatoes are coated with the oil.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl and stir together.
- Add dry ingredients to potatoes. Shake in the bag or stir in the bowl until all potatoes are coated with the seasoning mix.
- Place on a baking sheet (at least a 10×15 sized) 45 minutes at 450, stirring and flipping potatoes halfway through.
- Remove from oven, salt to taste and serve. Potatoes should be light and golden brown when they are finished. Bake time may vary depending on the size of potatoes. Makes 10 servings.