I have another grilled sandwich to share with you this week. This one uses smoked gouda for the cheese – which I LOVE! It has a nice creamy and smoky flavor. It works so well to add some nice flavor to a grilled cheese.
Then this sandwich also uses roast beef and caramelized red onion. Caramelized onions are an awesome thing to use on any sandwich. It add such wonderful onion flavor that isn’t too over powering along with some sweetness.
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 Tbsp butter plus additional for spreading on bread
- 1 Tbsp chopped Fresh sage
- 8 sliced of sourdough or artisan bread
- 1 lb thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 4 slices smoked gouda
- In a skillet, add butter and melt over medium heat. Add in the onion and sage and cook over medium low heat for 30 minutes stirring occasionally until onion is caramelized.
- Butter one side of ever slice of bread. In a skillet, place one slice of bread butter side down, Top with a slice of smoked gouda followed by ¼ of the caramelized onions and ¼ of the roast beef. Top with another slice of bread butter side up.
- Grill sandwich until both sides are golden brown. Repeat process with remaining ingredients until all sandwiches are cooked. Makes 4 sandwiches.
Recipe adapted from Running in the Kitchen.