Lemon is definitely a flavor of summer. Just think of sipping a glass of lemon on a nice hot summer day. I remember as a young girl coming in from being outside on a hot summer day for lunch. My mom would have lemonade waiting, made from concentrate for me and I would lie on the floor near our swap cooler to feel the cool air and sip my lemonade.
One of my favorite flavors is lemon and I usually have a lemon week each year just to focus on lemon recipes. I do have that coming up but had to include this cake recipe in my treats for a crowd week.
This cake is moist and flavorful. It is also topped with a sweet yet tangy lemon frosting! It is loaded with luscious lemony goodness that makes my mouth smile! Top it with some berries to make it even more amazing. If you serve it for the 4th of July top some with strawberry halves and some with blueberries to give it a festive look!
- 1 box lemon cake mix, plus ingredients required for the cake
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 (3 oz) pkg white chocolate pudding mix
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 8 oz light cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup lemon Jello powder
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- zest of one lemon
- 1-3 Tbsp whipping cream or milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 18 x 13 inch sheet pan with non-stick cooking spray.In a large bowl, add cake mix and ingredients needed on the package along with the buttermilk and pudding mix. Beat together with a mixer for 2 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the prepared sheet pan and spread evenly into the pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- In another bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Add in the remaining ingredients but start with 1 Tbsp of whipping cream or milk. Beat until fluffy and add more whipping cream or milk if needed to get desired consistency for the frosting.
- Frost cooled cake with frosting and serve. Serves at least 24.