So in my book, knots are just like a cinnamon roll, but easier to make. Plus, you get more of the dough coated with the sugary filling you would find inside a cinnamon roll.
Well, for Mother’s Day, I created this orange knot recipe. I love orange rolls, so of course I had to have a knot version of them! In stead of cinnamon you get the bright and refreshing flavor of orange. I have always thought the flavor of oranges is the perfect way to start a day. It seems to wake up the taste buds.
This recipe all begins with an easy dough recipe that then gets coated in sugary orange goodness, followed by a sweet orange glaze! I think you really with just love this recipe.
- 2 packets yeast (or 4½ tsp)
- ¼ cup warm water
- 6 Tbsp sugar, divided
- 1¼ cups milk
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 large egg
- 4½ cups flour
- Orange coating:
- the zest from 2 oranges (save oranges for icing)
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- juice from the zested oranges
- In the bowl of stand mixer, add the yeast, water, and 1 Tbsp of the sugar.
- In a sauce pan, add the remaining sugar, milk, salt, and butter together. Heat to lukewarm.
- Add the egg to the yeast mixture and combine.
- Then add in the milk mixture along with the flour. Stir until combined. Cover the dough and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- With the dough hook, knead the dough for 5 minutes.
- on a lightly floured surface, divide the dough into 24 pieces. Roll out each piece into an 8 inch rope and tie into a knot.
- In a bowl, combine the zest and sugar for the orange coating. Roll each knot in butter followed by the orange/sugar mix and place on a baking sheet. Cover and let rise for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Once the knots have risen, bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once knots are cooked, making icing by mixing powdered sugar and juice from the zested oranges. Make to desired consistency. If needed you can use water of milk to thin more. Drizzle icing over knots and serve. Makes 2 dozen knots.
Real Mom Kitchen original recipes.