My kids have loved hot dogs, baked beans, and cornbread since they were little. Even though they are all pretty much grown up now (21, 18, and 14), they still love those classics from when they were little.
This recipe combines those three items into a tasty but simple casserole. I have used this recipe for years. I also think it is important to use a good quality all beef hot dog whenever having hot dogs.
- 1 (16 oz) pkg all beef hot dogs, sliced into ½ inch pieces
- 3 (15½ oz) cans pork and beans, drained
- ⅓ cup barbecue sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 (8.5 oz) pkg Jiffy cornbread mix
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, stir together the hot dogs, pork and beans, barbecue sauce, and brown sugar. Pour mixture into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- In another bowl, mix the corn bread mix, milk, and egg together with a fork just until combined. Drop spoonfuls of the cornbread mix over the bean mixture. Carefully spread the batter over the bean mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly and cornbread is set. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Serves 6.
Recipe adapted from Parent Magazine.