One of our favorite sides at our house to have with just about any Italian meal is garlic bread. My family loves garlic and the more the better. If that garlic bread has cheesy on it, it’s even better.
There is a secret ingredient to make the best cheesy garlic bread – mayonnaise. You mix the cheese with the mayo before putting it on the bread. It aids in the melting process. It helps make the cheese melt into a nice blanket of ooey cheesy goodness over the bread.
This makes 1 whole loaf of bread and I only need 1/2 of a loaf for my family, so I plan 2 meals during the week to use this for and just use half of the butter and mayo mixture on one half. I place the half of the mayo mixture in the fridge until the next meal. I just cover the butter mixture and leave it on counter until I need it.
- ½ cup softened butter
- 3 cloves finely minced garlic
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 small loaf Italian or French bread
- dried parsley flakes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine softened butter with minced garlic.
- In another bowl, combine shredded mozzarella cheese with mayonnaise.
- Cut bread in half lengthwise. Spread butter/garlic mixture on loaf halves.
- Next, spread cheese/mayo mixture on top of each half. I just use my hands to sprinkle it over each half. Sprinkle with some dried parsley flakes and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 12-15 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serves 12.
Recipe adapted from the Country Cook.