Occasionally, when my life is super crazy, I have been known to by a frozen meal here and there. I mean, a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do to keep sane. When I do buy one, often times it is a chicken and wild rice meal that I get from Costco.
We sampled this meal one day while shopping there and took one home. It is a dish now that my family loves. Well, I finally got around to finding a way to make it at home. It has a few extras from the frozen version, like cheese and almonds.
This version is actually better than the frozen version that I get from Costco. My family is thrilled that we can have this meal more often, now that I can make it myself.
- 1 (6.2 oz) box Uncle Ben's Fast Cook Long Grain and Wild Rice
- 1 Tbsp butter
- ½ onion, diced
- ½ stalk celery, diced
- 1 (10¾ oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1½ cups frozen carrots and peas ( you can buy a mix of them of I use 1 cup carrots and ½ cup peas)
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Prepare rice according to package directions and set aside.
- Melt butter in a skillet and add in onion and celery. Cook until onion is tender.
- In a large bowl, combined the prepared rice with the onion/celery mixture. Add in the cream of mushroom soup, chicken, frozen vegetables, milk, and salt and pepper.
- Spread into a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese and almonds. Cover with foil and bake at 300 degrees for at least 30 minutes (or up to 60). Serves 4-5.
Recipe adapted from Lauren’s Latest.