Leftover Easter ham? Use it to make this tasty broccoli ham soup. It is easy to make and tastes amazing.
My family is much more likely to eat broccoli if it’s in a creamy cheese based soup. Add in some diced ham and it’s even better. The sharp cheddar is also what helps makes this soup to tasty. You could use regular cheddar, but I highly recommend grabbing some sharp cheddar at the store to make this!
Pair it with some rolls and dinner is served!
- 1½ lbs broccoli cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 small diced onion
- ¼ cup flour
- 1½ cup milk
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fully-cooked diced ham
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, add the broccoli with the chicken broth. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- In a large sauce pan, add butter and onion. Cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent.
- Add in the flour and cook for a minute or two until golden. Slowly pour in the milk while whisking. Cook for about 5 minutes until thicken.
- Add in cheese and whisk until melted. Add the cheese mixture to the large pot with the broccoli and broth. Add in the ham and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the ham is heated through. Serves 5.
Recipe adapted from Baking Mischief.