The past few days it has been snowing and blowing in my need of the woods. We have had the most snow yet for the season in the past two days.
I don’t know what it is that makes a bowl of soup the perfect thing to have on days like these. So I have a new soup recipe for you today. This soup recipe is a heartier version of a tomato basil soup. It tastes like a delicious tomato basil soup with the addition of tortellini and chunks of carrots.
The other great thing about this soup recipe is that it is made in one pot. So not only do you get a delicious bowl of soup but clean up is a cinch!
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup half & half
- 1 (24 oz) jar marinara or pasta sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 (16 oz) pkg frozen cheese tortellini
- parmesan cheese, optional for garnish
- basil, optional for garnish
- In a large stock pot, cook the onion, carrot in the olive oil until the onions are translucent.
- Mix in the fresh basil, chicken broth, milk, half & half, pasta sauce, and diced tomatoes along with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add in the tortellini and simmer for another 15-20 minutes or until the tortellini is tender..
- Serve and garnish with parmesan cheese and fresh basil if desired. Serves 6-8
Recipe adapted from Gal on a Mission.