I know that lemon meringue pie is a classic pie when it comes to lemon flavor, however, I am not a fan of meringue.
Yep, I don’t like meringue at all! It is partly due to the texture and partly due to the flavor. So when I want a piece of lemon pie, a lemon supreme pie is the pie that I want.
Lemon supreme pie has your regular pie crust followed by a sweet creamy cream cheese layer. Then that layer is followed with a bright yellow lemon curd-like layer. It is divine I tell you. This is my kind of lemon pie. It would be perfect to make for Mother’s Day and it’s the perfect way to end lemon week.
- 1 prepared deep-dish pie shell (I just prepare a frozen pie crust)
- Lemon filling:
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 6 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp lemon peel
- 4 to 5 drops lemon food coloring
- Cream cheese filling:
- 11 oz of light cream cheese, softened (use an 8 oz pkg plus 3 oz)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cool whip
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- For the lemon filling: add 3/4 of the sugar to a sauce pan with the cornstarch and salt. Whisk in the water and blend until smooth.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to a simmer and add in the remaining sugar and lemon juice. Cook and stir for about 2 minutes until thick and bubbly. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter, lemon peel, and food coloring. Let cool to room temperature for about 1 hour.
- For the cream cheese filling, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar together until well blended. Then fold in the cool whip and lemon juice. Place 1/2 cup of the mixture aside in the refrigerator to use later for garnish.
- Spread the cream cheese filling in the bottom of the prepared pie crust. Then top with the lemon filling to fill the pie. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, cut pie and pipe on a swirl of the reserved cream cheese mixture on each slice of pie. Serves 6-8.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.