I got this recipe for macaroni and cheese several years ago from the Gabby Gourmet. He use to do cooking segments on the local KUTV 2 Noon News. I grew up watching up on the noon new all the time. Summer was when I got to watch him the most.
Since seeing this recipe, this is the go-to mac and cheese recipe in my house. You can always leave out the ham and mushrooms and just use it as a side dish. I think it tastes best when you use sharp cheddar cheese, but most of the time I only have mild cheddar in the house. So any cheddar works fine. The sauce is just too easy and tastes amazing.
Also, today I got to go film a segment for a contest that I entered. Hopefully, I can give more details soon.
Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 (12 oz) package elbow macaroni cooked and well drained, according to the package
- 2 (10 3/4 oz) cans of cream of mushroom soup
- 7 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese or any other cheddar, divided
- 1 ½ cup diced cooked ham
- 1 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced and sauteed in butter or oli oil until tender (I leave this out most of the time because no one likes it except me)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine soup and 6 cups of cheese in a saucepan. Heat this mixture until smooth and cheese is melted.
- In a 9×13 sprayed dish, layer half of cooked macaroni and the half of cheese sauce. Sprinkle with all of ham and sauteed mushrooms.
- Top with the remaining macaroni and followed by the remaining cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Serves 8.
Original photo from post. Photo above was updated in Mach 2013.