I hope you all had a wonderful new year. I love the feeling of a new year beginning. There is something about a new year that feel fresh and clean, a new beginning. I also love the opportunity to reflect on my live and pick something I would like to work on and change. One thing I am going to try to do this year is simplify when possible and this soup recipe today definitely fits the bill.
It is similar to a recipe I posted years ago for a crock pot potato chowder. I actually posted it on January 1 of 2009. The main difference with this recipe is you use southern style hash browns in place of diced potatoes. Also, the change it potatoes also shortens the cooking time in half.
Creamy potato soup is usually always a hit at my house and this recipe was equally loved. You will love how simple this is.
- 1 (30 oz.) bag southern style frozen hash browns (these are the small cubed potatoes. You want large cubes-1/2-3/4 inch size- if not you want to add them halfway through cooking)
- 2 (14 oz) cans chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4 oz) can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (8 oz) pkg. light cream cheese, cut into cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional garnishes – diced bacon, diced green onion, shredded cheese
- Combine the hash browns, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, and chopped onion in your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours until potatoes are tender. (I cooked it for 4, if you cook it too long the potatoes will begin to break down. It all depends on your slow cooker. Mine cooks really hot)
- Then stir in the cubed cream cheese and cook for 30 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve in bowls topped with desired garnishes. Serves 4-6.
Recipe adapted from Worthy of a Prize.