When it comes to holiday baking, there’s always that one special recipe your family eagerly awaits year after year. This holiday season, why not add one more delicious recipe into the mix? Now, in my book, bread pudding could qualify as a breakfast item (it is basically just like a baked French toast, just uses less egg and more milk or cream usually) or as a dessert. So, I am including today’s recipe as one that could be served at your Christmas breakfast /brunch. However, you could also serve this as a dessert. Either way it would be a great new recipe to serve.
Now I thought this bread pudding was sweet as is and didn’t need any syrup for breakfast. Even if you serve it as a dessert, I personally think it really doesn’t need anything but maybe a spoonful of sweetened whipped cream. However, eggnog syrup or homemade caramel sauce would be a great addition if you want to make it extra decadent.
I adapted this recipe from Eagle Brand. It uses condensed milk instead of sugar and cream. I makes it nice and sweet. The original recipe used dried cranberries and white chocolate chips. Since I was serving it for breakfast, I opted to use fresh and omit the white chocolate chips. I loved the fresh cranberries in it! They were a nice slightly tar balance in the sweet bread pudding. If you aren’t a fan of cranberries, blueberries would be a great alternative. You could even use raspberries or blackberries. Any of the fruit you use doesn’t even have to be fresh, you could use frozen.
Eagle has provided a giveaway to provide all of the necessary tools to create your “perfect addition” to your holiday this year. The prize pack includes:
- Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk – Regular, Low Fat and Fat Free varieties
- $100 Gift Card to Wal-Mart
- Bakers Box Packaging Set – perfect for boxing up your new treats!
- Spice Measuring Spoons
- Baking Scale
Eagle Brand® has always been an essential part of holiday baking traditions, whether preparing fudge, pies, cookies or cakes. Made from a special blend of milk and sugar that makes baking delicious desserts almost effortless, Eagle provides a “fool-proof base” for endless holiday treats.
Cranberry Bread Pudding
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 3/4 cups hot water
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 cups cubed French bread (which is basically 1 loaf)
- 1 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan or six 6 oz custard cups/ramekins with no-stick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, beat eggs. Then blend in sweetened condensed milk, water, melted butter, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Stir in bread until completely moistened. Pour half the amount of bread mixture into prepared baking pan or cups.
- Sprinkle with half of the cranberries. Pour remaining bread mixture into pans or cups and sprinkle with remaining cranberries.
- For 8 -inch square pan, bake at 350°F for 55 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serves 9.
- For custard cups/ramekins, bake at 350°F for 30 to 35 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serves 6.
- Serve warm or let cool.
Recipe adapted from Eagle Brand.
Disclosure: I also received a prize pack from Eagle Brand.
Winner of this contest is: Mallory who said: I’d love to try making Tres Leches Cake this year! yummy
Congrats! Watch for an email on how to claim your prize!