Ok, I had to squeeze one more chocolaty dessert in before Valentine’s. This recipe is one that I grew up on and still rely on it frequently. I think my mom originally got it from a Betty Crocker cookbook.
The recipe is simple and made with simple ingredients. However, the results are an ooey gooey chocolaty brownie type dish that makes it’s own delicious fudge-like sauce. You’re gonna love this one. I like it served with a scoop and vanilla ice cream and some almond slices sprinkled on top. YUM!
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I always leave this out and let everyone put it on their own serving if they want it. I like to have slice almonds)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and 2 Tbsp cocoa powder.
- Then stir in milk, oil and chopped nuts (if using nuts).
- Spread mixture into a 9 inch square pan. (I use an 8 x 8 inch pan)
- In a small bowl, blend together brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa powder. Sprinkle mixture over batter in pan.
- Then pour the hot water over the mixture in the pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serve warm or cold with rich milk, cream, or ice cream. Serves 9. (I like it warm with Ice cream)
This is the original photo from this post. The above photo was updated in September 2014.