I have watched every episode of the Pioneer Woman on Food Network since it began. She is an inspiration to a lot of food bloggers, including me. After watching a couple of episodes, my daughter started watching with me. She is now hooked. Instead of asking to watch Shake It Up or A.N.T Farm after school, she now is requesting to watch the Pioneer Woman, too funny. She knows all the episodes and talks about Ree’s family like everyday acquaintances. It is something I get a laugh out of now quite frequently. She even get’s her play dishes and reenacts moments from the episodes. First thing she asks me now when she wakes up on Saturday morning is “Is there a new episode of Pioneer Woman to watch?”
Well, I was recently watching an episode of the Pioneer Woman (with my daughter, of course) where she shared her recipe for meatloaf and realized I have never shared my meatloaf recipe with all of you. The meatloaf recipe I make actually comes from my mother-in-law and contains what I think is a secret ingredient – shredded carrots. Not only does it add to the flavor but it also adds nutrition. My family has no idea that there are carrots in there. I usually serve it up with mac and cheese on the side or mashed potatoes are also yummy with it too.
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp mustard
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Place bread crumbs in a bowl. Pour milk over the bread crumbs and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, onion, salt, pepper, shredded carrot, and eggs until well mixed.
- Add the bread crumb mixture that has been set aside to the meat mixture and mix until well combined.
- Place the meat mixture into a loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the mustard, ketchup and brown sugar. Spread on top of the meat loaf.
- Bake the meatloaf at 350 degrees for 45 min to 1 hour until fully cooked.