When I was a young girl I remember making homemade hot cocoa mix and placing it in mugs to give my friends as a Christmas gift. The recipe I made was similar to this recipe but I think this recipe is even better. I think the instant chocolate pudding mix is the secret!
Mix this up to keep on hand for a quick cup of hot cocoa. You could also surprise a friend with a simple post holiday gift. It seems like after the holidays the winter blues can set in and a simple gift like this could be the sunshine someone needs. You can always hang on to this to use for gifts next Christmas too.
This recipe calls for non-dairy powdered coffee creamer. They have different flavors available, so you could always change up the flavor of the mix by using a flavored creamer.
- 4 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 cup non-dairy powdered coffee creamer
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey's)
- 1 (4 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding
- Place all the ingredient together in a large bowl.
- Whisk together until well combined.
- Store in a airtight container.
- To prepare a cup of hot cocoa: add ¼ to ⅓ cup of mix (I like ⅓ cup) to 8 oz of hot water. Stir until blended. (If using ⅓ cup per serving, you should be able to get 22 servings from this recipe.)
Recipe adapted from Mom Advice.