Today we are finishing Christmas breakfast week with a yummy strata. If you haven’t had a strata before, you must try this. A strata is similar to a quiche or fritatta and is usually made with bread, eggs, and cheese. With this strata you use english muffins for the bread.
Stratas are also made ahead of time so it works great for Christmas morning. You have to give the bread time to soak up all of the egg mixture. The vegetables used in this are a great flavor combo. The green broccoli and red roasted peppers give it a nice festive look too!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets (I used frozen broccoli and thawed it)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup roasted red peppers, diced
- 5 English muffins, split, toasted until golden and quartered
- 2½ cups shredded Cheddar and Monterrey Jack blend
- 8 eggs
- 2½ cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons honey Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook oil, green onion, garlic, and broccoli. Cook, stirring often, until all vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Add red peppers to the veggies and stir to combine.
- Spray a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange toasted English muffin pieces on bottom of dish with the cut sides up.
- Spoon the reserved vegetable mixture over English muffins, and sprinkle with 2 cups cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, mustard. Season with salt and pepper and pour egg mixture evenly over mixture in baking dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Before baking, let strata stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Remove plastic wrap from baking dish and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese; bake until golden and just set in center, 20 to 30 minutes longer.
- Let stand on a wire rack for 10 minutes before serving. Serves 8.
Recipe adapted from All You Magazine.