Here is a great way to add a festive touch to your Christmas Breakfast with Egg Nog Muffins or Mini Loaves. These have the wonderful flavor of egg nog in the muffin itself and in a glaze on top. The glaze is what really makes them yummy in my opinion.
These muffins also include a box of pudding to make them extra yummy and moist. I did half the recipe in muffin tins and half in mini bread loaves. Either way works great but I am partial to the muffins.
- 2¼ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 1¾ cups egg nog
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 (3.4 oz) package instant french vanilla or vanilla pudding
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Enough eggnog to make a glaze to drizzle over bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom of mini loaf pans or line muffin tins.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, add sugar, eggnog, rum and vanilla extract.
- To the egg mixture, slowly drizzle in the melted butter while whisking. Whisk until blended.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and mix until combined well.
- Add the instant pudding to the mixture and blend.
- Pour into greased mini loaf pans or muffin tins and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. I was able to get 12 muffins and 4 mini loaves from this recipe. The cooking time is the same for both the muffins and mini loaves.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely on a baking rack.
- When cool make the glaze: Mix the 1 cup of powdered sugar with enough eggnog to make a pourable glaze. Drizzle over cooled muffins or loaves. Let glaze set before storing bread.
Recipe adapted from my good friend Tina over at Mommy’s Kitchen.