If you are still in need of a easy side for Thanksgiving, then this recipe is for you. This simple salad has the perfect flavors for Thanksgiving including cranberries, apples, and pecans. The dressing is also simple – just combine a poppy seed dressing and a balsamic dressing. I used the Private Selection brand from my local Smith’s (Kroger) grocery store for both dressings.
One other quick tip when making this salad. You can get all of the ingredients ready ahead of time. You can even dice the apples and put them in some 7-Up a few hours ahead of time and the apple pieces won’t go brown. When ready to serve the salad just strain the apples and toss along with all the other ingredients. I also used the tip I recently shared to cook the bacon in the oven. I used foil instead of parchment and it worked like a charm.
- ¾ C poppy seed dressing
- ¾ C balsamic vinaigrette
- 2 hearts of romaine, cut into bit sized pieces
- ¾ cup craisins
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 apple, diced (I like the red for color - pears would also be yummy)
- 8 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
- Combine the poppy seed dressing and balsamic vinaigrette until well blended.
- Combine the remaining salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss.
- Serve salad with dressing. I served it with the dressing on the side so everyone can use the amount they like.
Recipe adapted from Your Home Based Mom.