Today’s recipe is a different way to cook a hot dog. My favorite way to have a hot dog cooked is on the grill, but with the change in weather that really isn’t possible. You can always pan fry them, boil them or microwave them – all of which I don’t really care for. I have even made them in the crock pot and really enjoy those.
I recently discovered a way of cooking hot dogs in the oven thanks to Pinterest! By the way, I absolutely LOVE Pinterest. Pinterest, I truly thank you for helping me better organize my life and my blog thanks you too! Anyway, the oven dogs get all dressed before entering the oven! Then they bake to get nice and warm. The oven helps give the hot dog a whole new taste. The bun gets a nice crispness to it. The combination of toppings is also a new way for me and found it to be absolutely yummy! I love the combination of the spicy chili with the sweet relish! So try your next dog in an oven, it’s delish!
- 8 hot dog buns
- 8 all beef hot dogs (I like Ball Park Franks)
- ½ cup sweet relish
- 1 Tbsp butter
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 (15 oz) can of chili or 2 cups of your own chili
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Spread a coating on mayonnaise on the inside of the hot dog buns.
- Fill the buns with the hot dogs and place in a 9x 13 inch baking dish. You will have to squeeze then into the dish.
- Top each dog with a Tablespoon of the relish.
- In a pan, saute the butter and onion until tender. Add the chili to the onions and stir until well combined.
- Top the dogs with the chili and sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Cover with foil at bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
Recipe adapted from In The Wabe.