Another tradition we have at our home for Halloween is that I always have a nice hot drink waiting for my kids when they return from trick or treating. In Utah, we have been know to have snow on Halloween and we are usually trying to figure out how to bundle the kids up to keep warm but still be able to see their costumes. Halloween tends to be freezing cold.
Some kind of hot cider is what I usually make. I don’t stick with one specific recipe but I always have some sort of drink. So for today and tomorrow I have some yummy recipes that are the perfect way to warm up after a cold evening of trick or treating.
Now, I love a good hot cider or hot chocolate but for me, if it has whipped cream on top, that is even better! I love how you get the hot drink with the cold and sweet creamy whipped cream as you take a sip. It’s the best! So today’s recipe is topped with whipped cream, but you could always leave that off if you want less calories.
Also, I highly recommend purchasing an apple cider from the refrigerated section of the grocery store rather than the bottle juice isle. They are very similar in price and the kind found in the refrigerated section has a much fresher taste and a stronger apple flavor.
- 8 cups or ½ gallon apple cider
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup caramel ice cream topping (I used Smuckers)
- whipped cream, optional
- extra caramel ice cream topping, optional
- In a large sauce pan, combine the cider, sugar, and caramel topping.
- Cook over medium low heat until simmering stirring frequently. Simmer until heated and well blended.
- Serve in cups of mugs. Pipe whipping cream on top and drizzle with additional caramel topping if desired.
Recipe is a Real Mom Kitchen original.
This is the original photo from this post. The above photo was updated in March 2015.