I love oatmeal for breakfast and have been noticing several recipes out there for pumpkin oatmeal. I figured it would be another fun way to enjoy pumpkin this season and decided to give it a try.
This oatmeal itself isn’t extremely sweet so the addition of fresh chopped apple and dried cranberries on top helps to balance out the flavors. Plus I love the combo of the apple pumpkin, and cranberry. It just screams fall. I have to admit I like my oatmeal pretty sweet so I did add a sprinkling of brown sugar on my serving also.
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅔ cup milk (I used skim)
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp fresh ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1 apple, diced
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- brown sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with non stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, egg, syrup, vanilla, milk, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, oats, baking powder, and pecans if desired.
- Pour the oatmeal mixture into the dish and spread evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until golden and let sit 5 minutes before serving.
- Cut into 9 squares and top each serving with some diced apple, dried cranberries, and brown sugar if desired.
Recipe adapted from The Baking Beauties.