Today’s recipe is a twist on one of my family’s favorite meals, Hawaiian Haystacks. Since my family loves them so much and also enjoys Mexican food, I thought a Mexican version would be fun for a change. The base of this is a simple ground beef/tomato sauce. Serve the sauce over rice along with the toppings of your choice. I listed toppings I think would work, but I am sure you all can come up with even more.
I also wanted to give you an update on some upcoming appearances and book signings.
- I will be appearing on the KSL morning news tomorrow Sept 1 between 6-7 am. I will be on there to talk about my book and share a recipe for tailgating.
- Book signing at Swiss Days in Midway, Ut on Friday Sept 2 from 9:30 -11:30 am at “The Book Shop” booth.
- Book signing at Sandy, Ut Costco on Thursday Sept 15 from 11 am -3 pm.
- Book signing at the Murray, Ut Costco on Friday Sept 30 from 11 am – 2 pm.
Mexican Pile Ups
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 lb. hamburger
- 3 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
- 1 pkg. taco seasoning
- cooked rice (at least 4 cups)
- grated cheese
- green onion
- diced avocado
- diced tomatoes
- salsa or pico de gallo
- sour cream
- corn (I would thaw frozen corn or use canned corn)
- canned beans (rinsed and drained)
- sliced olives
- crushed tortilla or corn chips
- tortilla strips
- diced red or green peppers
- In a large skillet, brown the beef along with the onion. When beef is fully cooked drain off any grease.
- Add the cans of tomato sauce and taco seasoning. Bring to a simmer and allow to simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Serve the beef/tomato sauce over cooked rice and top with desired toppings.