Why eat out when you can make your own teriyaki rice bowl in no time? This recipe begins with a simple teriyaki sauce which I have used before in the oven baked chicken teriyaki thighs. It is so easy to do and is much better than anything you can find in a bottle at the store. The sauce recipe will give you enough sauce for a couple meals and stores in the fridge for several weeks.
Then all you need is some steamed rice, frozen stir fry vegetable, and chicken. For the chicken, can use breasts or thighs, but I really like it with thighs. I also grabbed my stir fry vegetables from Costco. They had a really yummy combination that included broccoli, green beans, sugar snap peas, carrots, red bell peppers, shitake mushrooms, water chestnuts, baby corn, and yellow onion.
Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls
- Oil (I use canola)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut up into bite sized pieces
- 3 cups frozen stir-fry vegetables
- ¼ cup teriyaki sauce (see recipe below)
- 3 cups of steamed rice
- Additional teriyaki sauce, if desired
- Place a little oil in the bottom of a wok or non-stick skillet over medium heat. Give the oil and pan a minute or two to get hot.
- Then add your chicken to the pan and cook for a few minutes.
- Add 1-2 Tbsp of teriyaki sauce and for 3 minutes more until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Add the frozen veggies to the pan. Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minute more, stirring every couple of minutes, until veggies are heated through.
- Add the remaining teriyaki sauce to the mixture and serve over the rice. Serve with additional teriyaki sauce if desired.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- black pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the cornstarch and cold water until smooth and no lumps. Then, whisk in the sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, and ground black pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat then reduce it and simmer until thickens. You will end up with about 1 cup of sauce.