This week I am really trying to get in some of those final Summer recipes to enjoy the last bit that is left. I have a feeling Fall will be arriving in Utah very sooner since our Summer hasn’t been as sweltering hot as previous years. Today’s recipe is a really fun twist on traditional bbq sauce. this recipe gets a fruity twist with blackberries. May sound strange but it really is suprisingly good.
This sauce is easy to make thanks to the microwave. It also turns out really thick, perfect for slathering meat with. I used it on some bbq ribs. I also used it as a dipping sauce for grilled chicken. If the seeds really bother you, you could probably strain it before cooking it in the microwave. The ginger is also a delicious addition in this sauce.
Also be sure to check out the giveaway I have going on right now for a $100 giftcard!
Blackberry BBQ Sauce
- 1 1/4 cup blackberries
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup minced fresh ginger (yes that amount is correct, I used Gourmet Garden Ginger)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- hot sauce to taste (I only used a couple dashes)
- Combine all the above ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until it turns into a puree.
- Place the puree in a 1 quart microwave safe dish. Cover with a piece of wax paper and microwave for 4 minutes.
- Stir and microwave for another 4 minutes, stirring if needed. Makes 1 1/3 cups sauce.
Adapted from Sunset Magazine.