Today I am starting out my post with a request to help find Susan Powell. Susan may have the same last name as me, but is not a relative. She is a friend of a dear friend on mine and has been missing since December 6, 2009. Today is the start of a social media blitz campaign that family and friends are doing to help find Susan. I wanted to do what I could to help. Susan is a 28 year old mother to two little boys. These boys need their mom. The family has hope that Susan is alive and out there somewhere. Ed Smart, father of Elizabeth Smart who went missing in June 2002 and was found alive nine months later, has told the family to keep Susan’s face out there. That is what helped bring Elizabeth home. Please view the short video clip below to see what Susan looks like and keep an eye out for her. You never know where she could be.
The recipe for today is a cheeseburger soup. I found this recipe over at Dine and Dish. She makes this every year for Halloween. I did use more Velveeta than the original recipe called for. In fact, I doubled the Velveeta. This soup was nice and cheesy and full of flavor. I loved the shredded carrots in this soup. It was too hard for the kids to avoid them so they ate them up. I also put my onion and celery in my mini food processor to get them nice and fine. This also gets the kids to eat them, to small to avoid or even notice. It was loved by the whole family. I served this soup with a delicious bread recipe that I will share with you tomorrow.
Hey, I almost forgot to let you know, if you are in Utah I will be appearing on Studio 5 tomorrow (Jan 5th) at 11 am.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 3/4 c chopped onion
- 3/4 c shredded carrots
- 3/4 c diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 5 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 4 cups peeled, diced potatoes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups (8oz) Velveeta, cubed (I used 16 oz. of Velveeta)
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a 6-quart saucepan, brown beef; drain and set aside beef.
- In the same saucepan, saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley in 2 Tablespoons butter until vegetables are tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add broth, potatoes and beef; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan, melt remaining 3 Tablespoons of butter. Add flour; cook and stir for 3 minutes or until bubbly.
- Whisk into soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Add Velveeta, milk, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until cheese melts.
- Remove from heat; stir in sour cream. Makes 8 servings.