Freezer meals are pretty popular right now. We just tried this recipe that I got from my sister-in-law. So delicious. Of course my family objected to the peppers and onions in it. I think they made this dish absolutely wonderful.
One problem with this recipe was after the meal was thawed, the cheese was mushy and stuck together in clumps. I just used a fork and broke up the clumps. My suggestion would be to freeze the cheese in a separate bag. Then thaw both bags. Just before you are ready to put the egg mixture into the dish, dump the cheese in a mix it up in the zip lock, then put it all into the dish. No more mushy clumps of cheese.
A good short cut that I thought of for this recipe was to fore go the onions and peppers and buy the hash browns with them already in it. Less to buy and less to chop. Just adjust the amount of hash browns used to equal out the lack of peppers and onions added.
- 8 eggs
- 4 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup diced Onion
- pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups diced green Pepper (or red and green)
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 cup diced ham
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Mix eggs and milk together in a bowl.
- Add eggs and the remaining of the above ingredients into a one gallon freezer zip lock bag and seal the bag, removing all excess air and freeze. (See tip about the cheese up top)
- To serve thaw completely in refrigerator and put into a greased 9 x 13 dish. Bake uncovered in 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted comes clean. Serves 8-12.
This is the original photo from this post. The above photo was updated in April 2015.