So for today’s zucchini recipe I tried a dessert. It is the only way I can get my family to eat zucchini. It has to be in something sweet like cakes, muffins, breads, etc. I like the idea of making something with both zucchini and carrots in it. These bars were a fun change. I loved the ginger in them and the lemon frosting! These bars are full of texture. I did not peel my zucchini because I wanted to see the color, but you could always do that if you need it to be hidden!
Carrot and Zucchini Bars with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8 oz) pkg reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, oil, honey, and vanilla. Don’t worry about clumps of the brown sugar, those will dissolve as it sits while you prepare the remaining ingredients. Then fold in the carrot, zucchini, and walnuts
- In another bowl combine add the flour, baking powder, ginger, and baking soda. Whisk to blend together.
- Add to flour mixture to the wet mixture. Stir just until combined. Spread batter into an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Once the cake is cooled prepare the frosting. In a medium mixing bowl, beat the fosting ingredients with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Spread or pipe the frosting over the cooled bars. Makes 36 bars.
Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens.