Our last summer time meal this week gets cooked in the microwave. Everything in this dish is cooked, so all you need to do is put it in the microwave to heat it up and get the cheese all melted.
You can always adjust the heat by the amount of taco seasoning and green chilies that you add. This amount was perfect for our family. I must say, my favorite part in the french fried onions on top. I just may have to use a little more next time.
Hey, there is also another opportunity to win my cookbook today over at Barbara Bakes, so stop on by her place to enter.
Microwave Chicken Tortilla Casserole
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded or diced (this is about 2 cups)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup french fried onion, divided
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 1 Tbsp dried cilantro or 3 Tbsp fresh
- 2 (10 inch) flour tortillas (the big burrito sized ones)
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, sour cream, 1 cup of the cheese, 1/2 cup of fried onions, chopped green chilies, taco seasoning, and chopped cilantro. Mix until well combined combine.
- Cut up one of the tortilla into 1 inch pieces using a pizza wheel. Add to the chicken mixture and stir until blended in.
- Place the remaining tortilla into a 9 inch pie plate, this will create the crust for your pie. Spoon the mixture into the tortilla/crust.
- Place in microwave and microwave on high for about five minutes. Sprinkle the pie with the remaining cheese followed by the fried onions. Microwave for one minute more, or until cheese is melted. Keep in mind that microwave varies, so cooking time may vary too. Makes 6 servings.
Recipe adapted from Southern Plate.