In preparation for the 4th of July it is Red, White, and Blue Week here at RMK! All week long, I will share with you recipes that will help you show your patriotism on the 4th for your celebration. We are starting of the week with a lovely recipe that only requires 2 ingredients to make this cake. Technically I used more than 2 ingredients because I topped the cake with berries and whipped cream. However, the actual cake itself is only 2 ingredients – an angel food cake mix and a can of lemon pie filling. Yes that it is!
Those 2 simple ingredients give you a sponge -like cake with a light lemon flavor. It is so much better than those little sponge cake cups you can get at the store. Now I only topped my cake with strawberries, but just throw a few blueberries on top and you have your red, white, and BLUE! Dessert for your celebration has never been easier.
Two Ingredient Lemon Cake
- 1 (1 lb) package of angel food cake (I used Western Family)
- 1 (15.75 oz) can of lemon pie filling (I used Wilderness)
- Fresh Strawberries and blueberries, if desired
- Whipped Cream
- In a bowl, combine the cake mix (Mine had to packets inside, just add both) and the pie filling. Spread the cake batter into a a 9×13 cake pan.
- Bake 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean. Cool and slice. Top with fresh berries and cream.
Recipe adapted from Practically Living.