I am always looking for a recipe that is a twist on staple meal in our house. It’s always fun to have something we like to have but presented in a new way. I saw this recipe and it was a fun twist on tacos. We have tacos all the time at our house.
Angel Shannon presented this recipe on a local television show called Good Things Utah. It is so delicious. The best way to describe how this turns out it is it’s like a Mexican meat loaf with a corn bread layer. The topsy turvy part comes in when you invert this when you serve it. This was fun for a change and I will be putting it in my tried and true file.
- 1 ½ lbs. ground beef (raw)
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. instant onion (just the dried minced stuff)
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (1.25 oz.) pkg. taco seasoning
- 1 (8.5 oz.) pkg. cornmeal muffin mix (I used a Jiffy mix)
- Dressings: chopped tomatoes, avocado, shredded lettuce, green onions, cheese, black olives, salsa, and sour cream (whatever you like on your taco)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine beef, egg, onion, tomato sauce and taco seasoning. Spread in even layer in bottom of 10-in baking dish (I used an 11×8 dish).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Prepare cornmeal muffin mix according to package directions. Spread over top of the beef. Continue baking at 400 degrees for 15 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Turn upside down on serving plate and top with tomatoes, avocado, black olives and cheese; dollop sour cream on individual servings. Serves 9.