I really enjoyed the bbq pulled pork nachos that I shared a little bit ago. So I was excited to try another recipe that incorporated bbq meat. This time I went for chicken, but you could totally do this with beef or pork if you prefer. Now you can buy bbq meat from the store which is what I did or it is also a great way to reuse leftovers. This dish was tasty and simple to put together.
Barbecue Pork and Penne Skillet
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 container (18 ounces) refrigerated fully cooked barbecued shredded chicken or 3 cups leftover shredded bbq chicken
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained (like Rotel)
- 1/2 cup diced roasted red pepper
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 chopped green onions
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute. Stir in the pork, tomatoes, roasted red pepper, broth, cumin, pepper and salt; heat through.
- Drain pasta. Add pasta and cheese to pork mixture. Sprinkle with green onions. Serves 6-8
Recipe adapted from Simple and Delicious April/May 2011 issue.