Today I have a key lime pie recipe. I absolutely love key lime pie! This one is a fun variation. It requires no baking. The recipe includes some of the usual ingredients found in a key lime pie like sweetened condensed milk and key lime juice. However, instead of using eggs as the stabilizer it uses some cream cheese and gelatin. The cream cheese also give the pie a nice and creamy texture.
No if you would rather, you could use a full sized graham cracker pie crust but I went for the minis. This way you can made some to give mom for Mother’s Day and keep some for yourself. You could also use the package that the pie shells come in to use to give the pies. Just cover them with some cute scrapbook paper. Then you have two pie holders that will each hold two mini pies. I thought of this after the fact or I would have made one up for you to see.
I am also a purest when it comes to my key lime pie, so i don’t add any food coloring to the pie base. However, if you want that green look you could totally add some food coloring to it.
If you want to save on calories or mom is watching her waistline, you can skip the crust. I also made this recipe and put the mixture in custard cups. Then I sprinkled them with some graham cracker crumbs. This way you get the flavor without all the calories of an entire crust. You could also skip the whipping cream but I just can’t do it. I have to have a little dollop with my key lime pie. Yummy! If you love key lime pie you will love this creamy no bake version.
No Bake Key Lime Mini Pies
- 12 mini graham cracker crusts **see note
- 6 oz reduced fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2/3 cup key lime juice
- 1 1/4 tsp powdered gelatin
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 heaping Tbsp powdered sugar
- key limes or limes for garnish
- In the bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, and 1/3 cup of the lime juice with a hand mixer. Beat until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining lime juice, gelatin and vanilla extract. Heat in the microwave for 30 to 60 seconds, until juice is hot enough that the gelatin dissolves into it completely when you stir it.
- Beat the gelatin mixture into the cream cheese mixture in very slowly stream.
- Divide mixture in between pie crusts and refrigerate for 3-4 hours, until set.
- Before serving, whip whipping cream and powdered sugar together until it forms firm peaks. Spoon or pipe the whipped cream onto the pie and garnish with a slice of key lime or wedge of lime. Serves 12
** Note: you can forgo the crusts if you want to and just serve them in custard dishes. Just sprinkle with some graham cracker crumbs instead.
Recipe adapted from Baking Bites