I think I have been converted to the dark side. I am lovin’ chicken thighs. After trying the yummy teriyaki chicken thighs from my friend Kristin over at Dine and Dish, she highly recommended another recipe to me for spicy honey chicken thighs. So of course I had to give it a shot with such a recommendation.
I did alter the recipe because I was worried about the spice factor. I didn’t want it to be too spicy since my family and I are fairly whimpy when it comes to heat. It turned out with the perfect amount of spice for these whimps. Plus, I do love a recipe that gives you a little heat along with some sweetness. It is the perfect combination. My oldest son said the chicken was “the bomb dot com”. It is his latest catch phrase when giving his highest praise for something.
This recipe is also great because it is very quick to make. Cook time for this chicken is just over 10 minutes. You can also get the rub mixture together ahead of time.
This chicken recipe is made in the oven, but I am sure it would also work great on the grill. Right now for Utah, it is the perfect thing to cook. The Spring weather has yet to make a full appearance here. We only get a day or two during the week or the day is half yucky and half lovely. It’s just enough to tease us. It even snowed again yesterday. So fire up your oven and give this recipe a try. It will help you think Spring even if your weather outside says differently.
Spicy Honey Chicken Thighs
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, about 2lbs
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- Use kitchen shears (or a pair of clean scissors) to trim off any excess fat from the chicken pieces. Pat dry.
- In a bowl, combine the rub spices ingredients and mix well.
- Take the chicken and drizzle oil over chicken. Give it a rub with your hands to lightly coat all the pieces.
- Next, toss chicken with the spice rub to coat all sides well. Use your hands again and get all the pieces nice and coated with the rub
- Line a cookie sheet with foil. Place the chicken thighs on the cookie sheet, and broil in the oven on high for 5 minutes on each side with your oven rack at the highest level.
- Meanwhile, warm honey in the microwave just enough to thin it out. Mix in the vinegar until combined. Set aside just a couple of tablespoons to drizzle on after cooking.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and lower your oven rack one level. Brush each side of the chicken with the honey glaze mixture. Return the chicken to the oven and allow to cook on each side for another 3 minutes, or until chicken is cooked all the way through. Keep an eye on the chicken so it doesn’t burn. You do want the edges to get a little dark though. Drizzle chicken with the remaining honey mixture that was set aside and serve.