I have been holding on to several recipes for ricotta pancakes and Spring would be the perfect time to give this lemon version a try. I love the addition of lemon it gives a fresh flavor to the pancakes. I decided to pair them with a blackberry sauce which is also well complemented by the lemon. You could also change and the blackberries for raspberries and it would also be delicious.
The addition of the ricotta makes a very thick batter. However, the pancakes have tenderness to them. Be sure to be careful when making these that you do not over mix the batter. Enjoy Spring or Easter with the refreshing flavor of these pancakes.
Also for those of you who aren’t local, here is a link to clip clip from my tv appearance yesterday on a local show. Go to the link and click on “Delicious Dinners that don’t break the bank”. I demonstrated my recent post for oven baked teriyaki chicken thighs.
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg, egg whites, lemon juice, lemon zest, and canola oil.
- Gently fold the ricotta mixture into the dry ingredients just until combined. Do not over mix. This batter will be thick.
- Heat a griddle or a nonstick skillet over medium heat and coat with canola oil. Drop about 1/3 cup of batter onto the hot griddle or skillet. Cook the pancakes until browned on the underside and beginning to set, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook the pancakes on the other side, about two minutes longer. Continue making pancakes until batter is gone. Serve warm with blackberry sauce. Makes about 10 pancakes.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 2 cup frozen blackberries
- In a small sauce pan, whisk together the sugar and cornstarch. Whisk the water into the sugar mixture until well blended. Cook over medium heat until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and gently stir in blackberries. Allow the mixture to cool slightly. Serve warm over the lemon ricotta pancakes.
Pancake recipe adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod, Blackberry Sauce recipe a Real Mom Kitchen original