When you’ve used up all your leftover turkey and want something other than poultry, here’s a great recipe to make. Bring on the beef! I adapted this recipe from one I found in a Simple and Delicious Magazine. The patty is nice and tender thanks to some egg, bread crumbs, and spaghetti sauce. It’s basically like having an Italian hamburger. A tasty beef patty placed on garlic bread topped some spaghetti sauce and cheese. So yummy. You won’t be disappointed. My oldest son really loved this one. You could also add some garlic to the meat if you want more flavor.
Italian Patty Melts
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce, divided
- 3 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 slices Italian bread
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, 1/4 cup spaghetti sauce, bread crumbs and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four oval patties; set aside.
- Combine butter and seasonings; brush over both sides of bread. In a large skillet, toast bread until lightly browned; set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook patties over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
- Spoon remaining sauce over patties; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Place burgers on four slices of toast; top with remaining toast. Yield: 4 servings.