This recipe today with stretch out a good old package of macaroni and cheese. I must say that I am partial to the brand in the blue box. My favorite it the thick and cream kind. I did use the three cheese however to make this. You really could use any flavor you want.
It was simple and delicious. My whole family loved it. My husband said it reminded him of the recipe I have for Hubby’s Favorite Casserole but creamier and cheesier. Don’t let the long list of ingredients scare you. They are mostly seasonings. I adapted this from a recipe in my recent issue of Simple and Delicious.
Beefed Up Mac and Cheese
- 1 package (7-1/4 ounces) macaroni and cheese dinner mix (I used the 3 cheese flavor but any flavor will work)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons roasted red pepper **see note
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup milk
- Boil macaroni according to package directions; set cheese packet aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet brown the beef and onion until meat is no longer pink and onions are tender; drain.
- Add the roasted red pepper, soup, water, ketchup, mustard, salt, chili powder, oregano, cumin, and pepper to the meat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4 minutes.
- Drain macaroni; add to the beef mixture. Then stir in the corn, cheese, contents of reserved cheese packet, butter and milk. Cook over medium heat until heated through.
**note: fresh green or red pepper may be substituted. If using fresh add to the recipe along with the onion in step #2.