Today’s dish is a simple pasta side dish that is great to serve alongside a chicken or fish. I served it with yesterday’s recipe for crispy basil chicken. It is creamy but has a light and refreshing lemon flavor. Since it uses cream cheese to make the sauce, it does thicken as it sits. You can add a little milk if needed just before serving to help thin it out again.
I adapted this one from Kraft Foods. I only had 3 cups of rotini on hand so I added a cup of shells.
Creamy Lemon Rotini
- 4 cups rotini pasta, uncooked
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 4 oz. (1/2 of 8-oz. pkg.) reduced fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the rotini according to the package and drain.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in large saucepan and mix in the cream cheese and milk.
- Stir constatntly until the cream cheese is completely melted and sauce is well blended. Stir in 2 Tbsp. Parmesan.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce, zest, and parsley until evenly coated. Top with pepper and remaining Parmesan. Makes 6 servings.