At our house when it comes to grilled cheese, my hubby and two younger kids prefer American cheese while my older son and I are cheddar cheese fans. I came across a recipe from Sandra Lee that used both cheese when making the Tomato Soup recipe I shared yesterday. I decided to give it a try with a slight change.
It turned out great. You get that smooth creamy texture from the American cheese with the added flavor of the cheddar and Monterrey jack. The shredding of the cheese helps it melt with the American cheese and blend together. This just may be my new go to way for making grilled cheese. Of course, I always make my grilled cheese with butter, but you can use margarine if you prefer.
Here are some other variations on grilled cheese that I like also.
Three Cheese Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices of bread
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 deli slices American cheese
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar/Monterrey Jack cheese blend
- Heat a large grill pan over medium heat. Butter 1 side of each slice of bread. Lay half of the bread, butter side down, in the pan.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the shredded cheese on the bread, followed by a slice of American cheese. Then sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the shredded cheese on top of each slice of American cheese.
- Then top with the remaining bread slices, butter side up. Grill until golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted.