Me and my hubby recently had a date at Rumbi Island Grill. It had been a while since I had eaten there. I decided to get the soup and salad, hoping to eat something on the healthier side. I had completely forgotten how yummy their Bahama Mama Soup and house salad was. After, I thought it would be very simple to create a copy cat version of both the soup and salad. I will share the salad recipe with ya tomorrow.
The great thing about the soup is, it really is simple. I knew that the soup included chicken broth and coconut milk along with fresh tomatoes and carrots. The fresh tomatoes and carrots are what make this soup different. It is a hot soup but includes fresh carrot and tomatoes which is a great combination. It really gives the soup a nice and fresh flavor.
Now you add chunks of grilled chicken, The grilled element also adds a unique flavor to the soup. Then add some mozzarella, which gets nice and melty followed by some crisp tortilla strips. It is all finished off with a fresh lime wedge for you to squeeze the juice over the soup. Another ingredient to give it a nice, fresh punch of flavor.
I did do a Google search for a recipe to get a starting point. I mean why re-invent the wheel? I found a version at food.com and made a few changes. I must say this tastes just like the original. YUMMY!
Copycat of Rumbi’s Island Grill Bahama Mama Tortilla Soup
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped or a pinch of dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped (I used the stuff in a tube)
- 1 tablespoon garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup shredded or matchstick carrots (I used the matchstick)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 cups white tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips (see note below)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Preheat an outdoor or indoor grill for medium heat. Salt and pepper chicken breasts and grill for 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until browned and cooked through. Remove from the grill, and cut into chunks. (You can even purchase already grilled chicken from the store and use that to make this soup even easier)
- In a large pot, combine the chicken broth, allspice, thyme, cinnamon, ginger and garlic and bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and add the coconut milk, carrots and chicken. Let it sit for a few minutes to heat the chicken.
- Get four soup bowls and place 1/4 cup of the tomato in each.
- Ladle broth mixture into bowls. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese and tortilla strips. Squeeze juice onto soup from lime wedges. Makes 4 bowls.
Note: You can find tortilla strips in your grocery store now. I have seen them in the produce dept, deli dept, or on the chip isle. If not, then crushed tortilla chips will work. They just aren’t as pretty.