Now that I have shared some yummy soup recipes with you, why not pair them with a delicious biscuit. I saw a recipe for freezer biscuit over on The Sisters Cafe a while ago. Then I saw Leigh Anne at Your Home Based Mom tried them out and loved them. Her post reminded me I need to try them. Well, I finally got around to trying them and they are good!
The original recipe is made by hand. However, I followed Leigh Anne’s lead and used my food processor. I also used light sour cream to help reduce the calories for you. The great thing about this recipe is it makes 16-20 biscuits. You can bake what you want. Then put the rest on a baking sheet in your freezer. Give the biscuits a couple of hours on the sheet. Then pop them in a freezer bag and save for another night.
Hey, don’t worry if you don’t have a biscuit cutter. You can use a drinking glass in it’s place. You can also roll the dough into a rectangle and cut them in to square biscuits using your pizza cutter.
Perfect Freezer Biscuits
- 4 cups flour
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 (16 oz) container or 2 cups reduced fat sour cream
- 3-5 tsp water, if needed
- 4 Tbsp melted butter (need when baking the entire batch of biscuits)
- In a food processor, add all of the dry ingredients and pulse a few times to get the ingredients mixed together.
- Add butter to the food processor and pulse until butter is cut into pea sized pieces. This will take a few minutes.
- Next, add the sour cream and and pulse until a soft dough is formed. If the dough is too dry you can add some water. (I didn’t need any water)
- Remove dough from the food processor and knead a couple of times on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll out to 1 inch in thickness. Use a biscuit cutter or drinking glass to cut out into round biscuit shapes or cut into squares using a pizza cutter.
- If freezing, place biscuits on a cookie sheet for about 1-2 hours, until solid. After they are frozen, place in a freezer bag to store. Use as needed.
- To bake biscuits whether fresh or frozen: Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and brush with melted butter. Bake at 400 for 15-17 minutes or until top is golden. Halfway through the baking process, brush the tops of the biscuits again with melted butter. Makes 16-20 biscuits.