When I was doing my recap of the best recipes from 2010 with Finding Joy in My Kitchen, I noticed she had a recipe for baked potato soup. Now I have several yummy versions of baked potato soup already on my site, most of which include a creamy white base with potatoes in it. Then the soup is topped off with cheese, green onion, and crumbled bacon. This soup takes it up a notch by including cheese into the base of the soup making it cheesy and creamy. Then it also includes broccoli. Now you can see why I have called this recipe “Super Loaded Baked Potato Soup”.
I did make a few changes to the original recipe. I simplified the process by adding frozen broccoli and upped the amount of cheese. I felt the soup needed more to get that cheese flavor across. Now even though this is a cream based soup, it is on the healthier side. This soup does not include any butter in the base. It also only includes 1 cup of cream and 1 cup of milk, where my other favorite recipe uses 5 cups of milk, 1 cup of cream, and 1 cup of sour cream.
If you have a favorite baked potato soup recipe that you love you could easily adapt it to include the cheese and broccoli. However, with the new year I thought a lighter version would be appreciated. It was delicious and I know my waistline appreciated this lighter version.
Super Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 5 cups diced russet potatoes
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup cream
- 12 oz bag frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 cup bacon bits
- low fat sour cream, optional
- Place potatoes and onion in a large pot with enough water just to cover the potatoes. Add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes or until fork tender. Stir occasionally to prevent the potatoes from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Mash the potatoes a few times with a potato masher.
- Whisk together flour and milk; stir in with the potatoes. Then mix in the cream. Simmer until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Add broccoli, paprika, and garlic powder and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Just enough to warm the broccoli.
- Remove from the heat and add the shredded cheddar cheese. Stir until the cheese is all melted.
- Sprinkle each bowl with bacon bits and a spoonful of sour cream, if desired. Serves 6-8.