I have been on a soup kick lately. It’s nice to make a meal all in one pot. So I have some soups coming for you this week. We are starting off with a healthy white bean chili make with ground chicken. Ground chicken has 55% less fat than ground beef and is 150 calories for 4 oz. I created this recipe based off of one I saw by Angel Shannon on Good Things Utah.
There is a secret ingredient in this recipe that makes this chili delicious. It is a teaspoon of cinnamon. I love the additional layer of flavor it adds, a little extra sweet spice. You also puree a can of the beans to add to the thickness of the chili.
White Bean and Ground Chicken Chili
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground chicken (I used Gold n’ Plump 90/10)
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ground cayenne pepper to taste
- ground white pepper to taste
- 3 (15 oz) cans white beans beans, undrained (I used great northern but cannellini will also work)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups or 1 (16 oz) container of reduced fat sour cream
- In a large pot, saute the onion, garlic and ground chicken for 10 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Add the cumin, oregano, cinnamon, cayenne pepper to taste and white pepper to taste to the chicken mixture. Saute for 1 minutes until spices become fragrant.
- Mix in two cans of the beans along with the chicken broth. Take the third can of beans and puree them in a blender or food processor until smooth. Stir in the pureed beans and simmer the soup for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in sour cream until melted. Serves 6-8.