Here is an easy, elegant, and yummy dessert. I adapted it slightly from Recipe Girl. Love her! This dessert would be excellent anytime, but would also be a great dessert for Thanksgiving that you could serve in place of apple pie. You can also serve it with ice cream instead of whipped cream if you’d prefer. I think a scoop of cinnamon ice cream would be yummy! The only down side I had when making this is the waffle iron was nice and messy from the sugar when I was done. I think if you spray non-stick spray before you cook each waffle, this should help with this problem so I added that to the directions below. This turned out delicious and everyone loved it, even my Hubby who isn’t a puff pastry fan like me.
Caramelized Apple Waffle Pastries
3 Tbs unsalted butter
5 large apples, peeled, cored and cut into wedges (I used gala)
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 sheet frozen Puff Pastry, thawed
2 Tbs granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 heaping Tbsp. powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Prepare Caramelized Apples: In a large skillet over medium-heat, melt butter. Add apples, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir apples into sugary, buttery mixture until coated. Let apples cook and caramelize, about 15 minutes, stirring every so often (reduce heat as needed). Remove skillet from heat and stir in vanilla. Set apples aside to cool.
2. Prepare Waffle Pastries: Preheat waffle iron. Unfold puff pastry. Use sharp knife and cut along seams to create three rectangles. Cut each rectangle into thirds. You should have nine square pieces of puff pastry (about 2 1/2? x 3?). Combine sugar and cinnamon: Sprinkle tops of puff pastry squares with cinnamon-sugar mixture.
3. Spray waffle iron with nonstick spray.(I used my Belgian waffle maker that makes two square waffles) Place puff pastry onto waffle iron (two at a time) and close waffle iron. It should only take 2 or 3 minutes for the pastry to puff up and turn golden brown. Gently lift the waffle iron to watch progress and remove the waffles when done. Repeat with remaining pastry dough. (Spray your waffler each time with non-stick stray) Set pastry waffles aside to cool.
4. Prepare whipped cream: Using electric mixer, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Add powdered and vanilla.
5. Assembly: Place waffle pastries on serving platter and top with caramelized apples, drizzling pan juices too. Pipe whipped cream on top of the apples and shake a little cinnamon on the whipped cream. Serve immediately.
Cooking Tips from Recipe Girl
*Since this dessert is served at room temperature (or cold), it can easily be made ahead. Prepare the waffles, let cool and then keep in a covered container. Prepare the apples, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Whipped cream should be prepared just before serving.
**Try serving this dessert warm too, replacing the whipped cream with ice cream & a drizzle of caramel syrup.