Here are a couple of really easy gifts or treats that involve pretzels. The first is Pretzel Turtles, if you haven’t had them before, then I am surprised. It is a well traveled recipe. They are so simple and oh so good.
You make them using pretzels, rolo candies, and pecan halves. I also make them using red and green M & M’s in place of the pecan halves for those who aren’t nut lovers. I roast my pecans before placing them on the turtles, but you can skip this step to make them even easier. If you aren’t a pecan fan you can always replace them with any kind of nut like whole cashews, almonds, etc. You could even top them with another pretzel and make a pretzel sandwich!
The other recipe is a fun way to change a bag of pretzels. So easy. I adapted the recipe from Baking Junkie. It brings the flavors of sweet and salty together. I also saw another variation at Oh My Sugar High that cooks it in the microwave if you really want to speed up the process.
- 50 pretzels from a bag of waffle type pretzels like Snyder’s of Hanover Butter Snaps or Rold Gold Butter Checkers
- 1 (11 oz) bag of Rolos, unwrapped (the is around 50 in a bag)
- 50 Halved Pecans or M&Ms
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- If using pecans, spread the pecan halves on a baking sheet and bake for 4 minutes. Give them a stir and cook them for another 4 minutes.
- Place pretzels on another baking sheet. Top each pretzel with 1 rolo candy, place it right in the center of each pretzel.
- Place in oven and bake for 3 minutes. You want the candies to soften but not completely melt.
- Remove from oven and immediately place a pecan half (or candy) on top of each candy and lightly press. You want to flatten the candy to cover all of the pretzel except to outer outline and secure the candy on top.
- Allow to cool. Makes 50 turtle candies.
Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels
- 1 (16 oz) bag twist pretzels
- ⅔ cup canola oil
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. ace preztels in a large bowl. In a small bowl, stir together canola oil, cinnamon and sugar.
- Pour over pretzels and stir to coat. Place pretzels on a baking sheet.
- Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and stir. Return to oven for 10 more minutes and stir again.
- Place in oven one more time for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Store in a sealed container.