Thanksgiving week continues with two side dish recipes made in the slow cooker. I am also the host today of the Vitual Thanksgiving Progessive Dinner and want to welcome all of you for dropping by today for the dinner.
A slow cooker can make life easier on Thanksgiving. I decided to try out two new recipes from Pillsbury that utilize a slow cooker to make two side dishes for Thanksgiving. The first is the mashed potatoes. This recipe allows you to get the potatoes going well before the meal. You cook them for 4 to 4 1/2 hours in the slow cooker. Then you mash them and then can return them to your slow cooker to keep warm for up to 2 hours. The original recipe called for garlic and onion powder which I left out. I like the gravy to add the flavor to the potatoes.
Next is a recipe your brown sugared carrots. The brown sugar just gives those yummy baby carrots an extra boost of sweetness. This recipe said to cook the carrots for 4 to 5 hours, but mine were done in 3 hours. So, I recommend not starting the carrots too early. Then check on them at the 3 hour mark and if needed set on the warm setting.
Today is also another day of the 8 weeks of Christmas Goodies that I am participating in along with some other bloggers. This week’s goodie recipe is Cranberry-Macadamia Bars. I made them when I went to Baking with Betty and am absolutely making them this holiday season. They were my favorite. There is also a recipe for Citrus-Kissed Fig Thumprints included with that link that would also be an excellent goodie. I wasn’t big on the fig part, but you could easily substitute a different flavored preserve.
Also, if you are in the Salt Lake Area, I have a friend who has a great deal on mini pumpkins and gourds to decorate for Thanksgiving. Check out my events page for more info.
Ultimate Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- 5 lb baking potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into chunks
- 1 cup sour cream (I used light sour cream)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, if desired (I left this out)
- 1/2 to 1 cup milk, warmed
- In 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, place potatoes, chicken broth and butter.
- Cover; cook on High heat setting 4 hours to 4 hours 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add remaining ingredients except milk. Mash, crush or smash potatoes using potato masher, or beat with electric mixer on low speed until well blended. Do not overmix. Stir in enough milk for desired creamy consistency.
- Cover and keep warm on Low or Warm heat setting until serving time, up to 2 hours. Stir before serving and you may need to mix in additional milk if potatoes have stiffened while on the warm or low setting.
- 1 bag (32 oz) ready-to-eat baby carrots
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. butter, chopped into small pieces
- 1 Tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
- Spray a 3 1/2 to 4 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Put carrot in slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt, brown sugar, and butter.
- Cover and cook on high (stirring every hour) for 3-4 hours until tender.
- Spoon into serving bowl and spoon any sauce remaining over the carrots. Season with addition butter, salt, or pepper if desired. Sprinkle with parsley to serve.