Soup week continues with a delicious Cheesy Potato Soup that is made in a slow cooker. A while back, I posted another version that got it’s creaminess from some cream cheese. It is very rare that you can find a deliciously creamy soup that you can make in the crock pot. If you are a fan of the version I posted a while ago, you are gonna LOVE this version that I discovered at Pillsbury.com.
This recipe does start off in a skillet. You need to cook up some bacon to top the soup with. Then you cook the onion in the bacon grease. You know any soup that starts off with onion cooked in bacon fat is gonna be good.
Then you add that to some broth and celery along with diced potatoes and let the slow cooker do the work. Thirty minutes before eating the soup, you add a mixture of half and half and flour, then let the soup cook on high for 30 minutes. Stir in some cheese and serve it up with some bacon sprinkled on top. YUM!
I also did my first post today on my events page about my Napa adventure. Be sure to check it out.
Cheesy Potato Soup in the Slow Cooker
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 5 cups diced peeled russet potatoes (about 5 medium)
- 1 medium stalk celery, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 carton (32 oz) chicken broth (4 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half (I used half skim milk and half whipping cream)
- 1 bag (8 oz) shredded American and Cheddar cheese blend (2 cups, I could find a blend so I used all cheddar. Next time I am gonna try 1 cup Velveeta and 1 cup cheddar)
- In 12-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, turning occasionally, until browned and crispy. Remove from skillet, reserving fat in skillet. Drain bacon on paper towel, then refrigerate. In same skillet, cook onion in bacon fat over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender.
- Spray 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In cooker, mix onion, potatoes, celery, broth, salt and pepper.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 6 to 7 hours.
- In small bowl, beat flour and half-and-half with wire whisk until well blended; stir into soup. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook about 30 minutes longer or until thickened. Stir in cheese until well melted. Crumble bacon; sprinkle over soup.