We have a few days left of pumpkin week and I have another fabulous recipe for you, Pumpkin Granola. It is so delicious. I love to eat it with some vanilla yogurt breakfast or just plain for a quick snack. I discovered this recipe from Maria over at Two Peas and Their Pod who adapted the recipe from Baking Bites.
It is very easy to make. Mine turned out on the softer side which I don’t mind at all. However, if you wanted a crunchier granola, I’m sure you could just cook it longer to dry it out. I think this would be perfect to make as a gift to give your Thanksgiving hostess to enjoy the day after the big meal. You just need a cute container or a cellophane bag tied with a pretty bow.
The recipe calls for pepitas or raw pumpkin seeds. They are a light green color. I was able to find them in the bulk food section in the health food area of my Smith’s Marketplace. However, you can easily substitute the pepitas with almonds, walnuts, pecans, or sunflower seeds.
- 5 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pepitas ***see note
1. Preheat the oven to 325° F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine oats, spices, and salt. Mix well.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, pumpkin puree, applesauce, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth. Pour wet ingredients into oat mixture and stir until the oats are evenly coated. They will be moist. Evenly spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet.
4. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove pan from the oven and stir. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the granola is golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and stir in dried cranberries and pepitas. Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Note: You can use almonds, walnuts, pecans, or sunflower seeds in place of the pepitas
recipe shared with permission