Yep you saw that recipe title right. Today we continue pumpkin week with a pumpkin chili. I must say I was puzzled on how a chili recipe would taste with pumpkin in it. The recipe was one I found on the Taste of Home website. I looked at the reviews of the recipe. Everyone said you can’t taste the pumpkin. I figured it was worth a shot and was hoping no one in the family would suspect that the chili had pumpkin hidden inside.
I mixed the chili together when no one was around and quickly disposed of the pumpkin evidence. The recipe cooks for several hours in the crock pot. Who doesn’t love their crock pot? The recipe also calls for cubed turkey, so this would be an excellent recipe to use when you have leftover turkey from Thanksgiving. I had chicken so I used that in place of the turkey.
Overall, this chili was pretty good. The pumpkin just adds a thickness and richness. NO ONE had any idea that pumpkin was in the soup and they all ate it without any questions. They still have no clue that the chili contained pumpkin. It is a very mellow flavored chili and I loved the chicken in it. Another bonus with this soup is the health factor. One cup of this soup has 192 calories and 7 grams of fiber! Try it on you family and see if they eat it with no clue that there is pumpkin hidden in there.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey (I used chicken)
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, yellow pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).